Understanding Privacy at Spotify
At Spotify, we want to give you the best possible experience. To do this we use some personal data about you to provide your personalised Spotify service and to develop the best audio platform for our listeners and creators. We are also committed to protecting the privacy and security of your data. Check out the below privacy resources and watch the video on this page to learn more.
- Our Privacy & Security Spotify Support pages provide extra support and answers to frequently asked questions.
- If you’re still looking for help, you can contact us.
What personal data does Spotify collect about me?
It is very important to us that you understand what personal data we collect about you, how we collect it and why it’s necessary.
We collect your personal data in the following ways:
Why does Spotify collect and use this personal data?
We collect and use your personal data for the following reasons:
- to provide the Spotify Service
- to provide certain additional voluntary features of the Spotify Service
- to understand, diagnose, troubleshoot and fix issues with the Spotify Service
- to evaluate and develop new features, technologies and improvements to the Spotify Service
- for marketing, promotion and advertising purposes
- to comply with legal obligations and law enforcement requests
- to fulfill contractual obligations with third parties
- to take appropriate action with reports of intellectual property infringement and inappropriate content
- to establish, exercise or defend legal claims
- to conduct business planning, reporting and forecasting
- to process your payment
- to detect and prevent fraud, including fraudulent use of the Spotify Service
- to conduct research and surveys
How does Spotify protect my personal data?
We are committed to protecting our users’ personal data. We implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to help protect the security of your personal data. However, please note that no system is ever completely secure.
We have put various safeguards in place including pseudonymisation, encryption, access and retention policies to guard against unauthorised access and unnecessary retention of personal data in our systems.
To protect your user account, we encourage you to:
- use a strong password which you only use for your Spotify account
- never share your password with anyone
- limit access to your computer and browser
- log out once you have finished using the Spotify Service on a shared device
- read more detail on protecting your account
Your Personal Data Rights
You may be aware that privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation or ‘GDPR’, give certain rights to individuals over their personal data. These are described below.
Access your personal data
It’s your right to request access to the personal data we process about you.
It’s your right to be informed of the personal data we process about you and how we process it.
Update your personal data
It’s your right to request that we amend or update your personal data where it’s inaccurate or incomplete.
Restrict the use of your personal data
It’s your right to request that we temporarily or permanently stop processing all or some of your personal data.
Object to the use of your personal data
It’s your right to object to us processing your personal data at any time, on grounds relating to your particular situation.
Object to tailored advertising
It’s your right to object to your personal data being processed for tailored advertising purposes.
Object to automated decision making
It’s your right to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision making, including profiling, where the decision would have a legal effect on you or produce a similarly significant effect.
Port your personal data
It’s your right to request a copy of your personal data in an electronic format and the right to transmit that personal data for use in another party’s service.
Erase your personal data
It’s your right to request that we delete your personal data.
Withdraw your consent
It’s your right to withdraw your consent to us collecting or using your personal data.
Where can I go to control what personal data Spotify uses?
- Privacy Settings page – control the processing of certain personal data, including Tailored Ads.
- Notification Settings page – set which marketing communication you get from Spotify.
- Settings (found in the Desktop and Mobile versions of Spotify) – control certain aspects of the Spotify Service such as ‘Social’ and ‘Explicit Content’. On the ‘Social’ setting, you can:
- start a Private session
- choose whether to share what you listen to on Spotify with your followers, and
- choose whether to show your recently played artists on your public profile
On the ‘Explicit Content’ setting you can control whether explicit-rated content can be played on your Spotify account.
At Spotify we are dedicated to providing you with the best user experience. Below are the policies that we apply when providing you with this service.