Effective as of 30 October 2019
2 About this Policy
3 Parental controls and security
4 How do we collect your child’s personal data?
5 What personal data do we collect from you and your child?
6 What do we use your child’s personal data for?
7 Sharing your child’s personal data
8 Data retention and deletion
9 Transfer to other countries
11 How to contact us
Thanks for using our new app developed for children, that we call “Spotify Kids”!
At Spotify, we want to give you and your child the best possible experience to ensure that you enjoy Spotify Kids. In particular, the privacy and security of your and your child’s personal data is, and will always be, enormously important to us.
This Policy sets out the essential privacy details relating to Spotify Kids. The terms governing Spotify Kids are defined in our Family Terms and Conditions of Use. The aim of this Policy is to:
- Ensure that you understand what personal data we collect about you and your child when using Spotify Kids, the reasons why we collect and use it, and who we share it with;
- Explain the additional privacy and security measures and controls we have implemented for Spotify Kids in order to provide a good environment for your child; and
- Explain the available rights and choices in relation to the personal data we collect and process about you and your child when using Spotify Kids, and how we will protect the privacy of your child.
We hope this Policy helps you understand our privacy commitment to you and your child. For further clarification of the terms used in this Policy please visit our Privacy Center on spotify.com. For information on how to contact us if you ever have any questions or concerns, please see How to contact us below.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of your child’s personal data. We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational measures to help protect the security of your child’s personal data; however, please note that no system is ever completely secure. We have implemented various policies including pseudonymization, encryption, access, and retention policies to guard against unauthorised access and unnecessary retention of personal data in our systems.
To help ensure a good environment for your child when using Spotify Kids, we’ve also implemented the following controls:
- Parental protection - in order to access and enable certain functions in Spotify Kids, such as creating or deleting a child’s account and changing the account settings, you as a parent need to provide a verification code. This allows you to control what features your child may use on Spotify Kids and prevents your child from changing settings by themselves.
- Appropriate content - Spotify Kids will only contain age-appropriate content, selected by our editors. At account setup, you will have the option to select what kind of content your child’s Spotify Kids account should contain.
If you have any questions about your child’s privacy, your rights, or how to exercise them, please contact our Data Protection Officer using the “Contact Us” form on the Privacy Center. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time upon verification of your identity. If you have concerns around our processing of your child’s personal data, we hope you will continue to work with us to resolve them. However, you can also contact and have the right to lodge a complaint to the Swedish Data Protection Authority (Datainspektionen) or your local Data Protection Authority.
When you and your child use Spotify Kids, we collect your personal data in the following ways:
- When you create a Spotiy Kids account – when you create a Spotify Kids account, we collect certain personal data so your child can enjoy Spotify Kids, including chosen name and, optionally, birthdate. You are also able to choose e.g. an avatar and a color to personalize your child’s Spotify Kids account. In addition, we collect the country you provided in your Spotify account.
- Through the use of Spotify Kids – when you and your child use Spotify Kids, we collect personal data about your use of Spotify Kids, such as what songs you have played and what songs you have saved as favorites.
We have set out in the tables below the categories of personal data we collect and use about you and your child:
Personal data collected when you create a Spotify Kids account
|Categories of personal data||Description of category|
|User Data||This is the personal data that is provided by you or collected by us to enable you to sign up your child and use Spotify Kids. This includes the chosen name, and birthdate. You will also be able to choose e.g. a color and an avatar for your child’s Spotify Kids account. In addition, we use the country you provided in your Spotify account.
Some of the personal data we will ask you to provide is required in order to create your child’s Spotify Kids account, such as chosen name. You also have the option to provide us with your child’s birthdate and select a color and an avatar in order to make your child’s Spotify Kids account more personalized.