Director of Engineering - Playback
We are currently looking for a Director of Engineering to lead technology for our Playback teams. The teams consists of about 60 engineers & managers, divided across 5 separate teams (we call them squads) (growing into 7), and together they have a mission to Provide the world’s best playback experience. You, together with your Product peer, will be responsible for audio & video playback across all Spotify platforms & devices, media transcoding (music, podcasts, videos, images), and Content Delivery capabilities upon which the entire Spotify consumer experience is built. The teams also manages a differentiated set of the streaming capabilities for Spotify. They push beyond the limits of existing off-the-shelf solutions, but are always looking for opportunities to divest from internal solutions when the marketplace has caught up.
You will report into the VP Engineering who is the Engineering lead for the whole business area around the Consumer Experience and your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
What you’ll do
- Provide technical leadership to a team of around 60 ppl within one of our most critical areas.
- Working closely with product management, guide the teams through a maze of priorities including areas of critical innovation, massive scaling needs, and elimination of technical debt.
- Help teams focus on timely delivery with an ever increasing quality.
- Build a strong leadership team within the department.
- Work in either our HQ in Stockholm or in our Gothenburg (Sweden) office as your teams are located in both of these locations.
Who you are
- You have Previous experience with building, deploying and operating high scaled systems, ideally related to video or audio streaming.
- You have led engineering teams of at least 40-50 ppl
- You have experience in leading engineering culture in an agile & devops environment, and you are able to foster and grow the culture in existing teams.
- You are a Team builder – Developing leadership, supporting managers, and growing the whole team across multiple levels is second nature to you.
- You understand product management and are used to partnering up and collaborating with peers across departments.
What We Value
Innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are the start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it, and will help shape it as it evolves.
Spotify brings you the right music for every moment – on your computer, your mobile, your tablet, your home entertainment system and more.
We play music for over 100 million active users, with more than 40 million subscribers. We’ve launched in 58 markets with over 30 millions songs.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.