The core of Spotify’s business is our freemium model, delivering an amazing free experience and providing an on-ramp to our subscription premium tiers.
With over 40 million users enjoying Spotify Premium, we’re off to a good start. Over the last few years, we’ve built out an exceptional team, and a solid platform to support our users, work with partners, and attract new subscribers. However, we see this as only the beginning of our Premium business.
The challenge ahead is to scale the people, culture, technology and business for our Premium business and Subscription platform. We believe there is much more we can do to improve our existing offering, expand the market and craft innovative experiences for consumers and partners alike.
What We’re Looking For
We’re searching for an experienced UX/Product design leader to join their Tech and Product Lead counterparts for our Stockholm based organisation (we call them tribes), focused on Spotify Premium, and our subscription & payments platform. Our designers work closely with their developers and product counterparts, balancing input and strategy from our business teams, to deliver standout premium experiences for our users and partners alike.
To be successful, you have experience in the following areas:
- Motivation – You are someone who has a deep appreciation for the role that payments and subscriptions can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organisation.
- Cultural leader – You have experience in leading design culture in an agile or lean environment, and you are able to foster and grow the culture in existing teams.
- Team builder – Developing leadership, supporting managers, and growing the whole team across multiple levels is second nature to you. Ideally, you have been through hyper growth, and have experience with an 80-100 person organisation.
- Product & Tech partner – You have deep history working with both Product Owners and Developers
- Business partner – You understand the unique perspective of subscription, payment, or commerce business teams and can collaborate across departments.
- Domain experience – The subscription, commerce, and payments domains are fast paced, and not necessarily intuitive. Existing understanding and ability to evangelise is valuable for the role.
What you’ll do
- You will be responsible for leading a tribe with Tech and Product counterparts, which has responsibilities across many areas of Spotify. This includes our application on all platforms – mobile, desktop, web, and more, scalable backend services, and a deep focus on data and optimization. You’ll provide the thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Shape the data-informed product design vision for the user experience of the products we make in this Tribe and create the space for others to collaborate across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Put a premium on listening to users, both directly and through the work of our Product Insights team, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Hire and grow the craft of talented designers for your Tribe and across Spotify.
- Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership your Tribe, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way, including how the work your Tribe contributes to an overarching and holistic user experience.
- Work from our office in Stockholm
Who you are
- You have at least 10 years of experience leading design teams with a variety of crafts (visual, interaction/IA, writing, research, etc.) at consumer-focused tech or media companies.
- You are a player/coach/servant leader with practical design chops you don’t mind dusting off from time-to-time. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator. You have the communication skills to help you work cross-functionally with business stakeholders, You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You have a user and data-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your teams instincts through user feedback and data insight. You understand the role and importance of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends -- you never stop pushing into the next big challenge.
- You are familiar and comfortable working within and contributing to large design systems that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of the larger design ecosystem with the local goals of your mission.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting part work leading teams that is relevant to the role.
What We Value
Dogmatic user focus, innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are the start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it, and will help shape it as it evolves.We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.