Senior Manager, Thought Leadership Research
We’re looking for a rockstar to join the band! More specifically, a Research Lead to establish and enhance the vision, strategy, and execution of Spotify’s Ad Revenue business through cutting-edge global thought leadership research. This role will be an integral part of the Advertiser Insights & Effectiveness team and overall Marketing Sciences organization - driving our value proposition to agencies and brands through externally facing insights-fueled narratives that elevate industry intelligence and drive smarter business decisions.
In short, we’re looking for an experienced research leader with a marketers mindset.
This is a people-manager role that reports directly to the Global Head, Advertiser Insights & Effectiveness.
What you'll do?
- Direct Spotify's global thought leadership insights strategy, positioning Spotify as a valuable thought leader to agencies and brands.
- Partner with Marketing, Sales, and PR to deliver data-driven narratives that are compelling, disruptive, and influential - reinforcing Spotify as a curator of actionable, business-critical learnings.
- Oversee global research that supports the company's go-to-market agenda. This includes executing tent-pole research initiatives, delivering always-on insights and data stories, packaging existing research and data to tell innovative new stories, conducting industry and segment deep-dives, etc.
- Conduct innovative primary research, leverage syndicated & 3rd-party research, and work directly with our platform data to bring your stories to life.
- Build an external industry profile for Spotify’s thought leadership presence. Manage the relationship with industry organizations, participate at relevant conferences/industry events, and identify and drive strategic speaking engagements.
- Manage (initially) one analyst to guide them in contributing to the team vision and short/long term goals.
- Manage consultants, contractors, and vendors to deliver on projects.
- Maintain a strong working relationships with our Marketing and Sales teams to package and distribute output into creative formats for industry consumption (infographics, whitepapers, case studies, videos etc.) and into existing and/or new marketing and sales materials, narratives, activities, workshops, events, etc.
- Be an internal source of expertise and excellence on thought leadership strategy.
Who you are?
- A data-driven storyteller that’s passionate about pushing the boundaries of research to elevate partner/industry intelligence, and strives to inspire and drive action through insights. Someone who inherently emphasizes “telling the story” rather than just facts and figures.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, preferably from different sides of the marketing, media, advertising industry (agency, client-side etc.). At least 5 of those years in a research-oriented function.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field of study.
- Experience in a wide range of research initiatives and methodologies, including advertising effectiveness, offline & online ROI measurement, ethnography, neuroscience, focus groups, segmentation, attribution measurement, brand tracking, etc.
- Experience in owning research projects from beginning to end: methodology development, vendor selection, hands-on analysis, operational global project management, content creation, etc.
- Proven master-level ability to weave primary quantitative/qualitative research, syndicated/3rd party research, and platform behavioral data together into a cohesive and compelling story of strategic importance
- Communicative personality who is capable of building strong relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders, and has the ability to explain complex topics in simple terms
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, and experience presenting to large groups– you’re articulate and engaging.
- Inherently curious and strategic thinker, able to see unexpected connections and “join the dots.”
- You have a strong knowledge of the digital marketing/advertising ecosystem
- Proficiency in PowerPoint/Keynote, Word, and Excel a must
- Familiarity with syndicated tools such as comScore, eMarketer, TGI, GWI, MRI, Simmons, etc., a must
- Experience with survey tools like Qualtrics or Decipher a plus, and bonus points if you have skills with statistical software (SPSS) or big data tools (R, Python, SQL)
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.