Senior Data Scientist- Legal
Senior Data Scientist - Legal
We seek an outstanding Senior Data Scientist — Legal to join our New York office. This individual will lead data-related work for the company’s international Legal team. Working within the company’s Finance Analytics team, you will work closely with our central Data team, embedded functional data scientists, and data engineers throughout the company.
Your work will inform the Legal team’s strategy across cutting-edge digital legal issues, including copyright and privacy. Because of the breadth of issues handled by our Legal team, you will have the rare opportunity to dive deeply into data around all corners of the company. Above all, you will be at the nexus of data science and cutting edge data issues at one of the most innovative companies in the world.
In addition to possessing strong technical background of his/her own, the ideal candidate will be a natural communicator who is able to explain complex statistical and analytical frameworks to business and engineering teams in both New York and Stockholm. Accompanying this broad set of responsibilities is exposure to many functional areas, as well as senior management, across Spotify.
There will be heavy emphasis on gathering stakeholder requirements (including translating the underlying legal issues into data-driven tasks), and calibrating the appropriate level of rigor for each task. Accompanying this broad set of responsibilities is exposure to all functional areas, as well as senior management, across Spotify.
What you'll do:
- Take ownership of all of Spotify’s Legal team’s data and analytics needs.
- Work on task-driven analyses (both short-term/one-off and long-term/deep-dive) with data engineers and data scientists throughout the company. Identify relevant data sets, learn their complexities, and deliver results.
- Create models to support decision-making, including litigation risk/exposure, effects of potential product features on Legal resource needs, etc.
- Identify areas for improved efficiency for the Legal team’s data needs and work with relevant counterparts throughout the company to propose and implement dashboards and other tools.
- Be a thought leader within the Legal team as the team implements policies and processes governing the company’s compliance with data/privacy regulations.
Who you are:
- B.A. / B.S. in Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, or another quantitative field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. Background in legal matters is a plus, but not required. Willingness to learn relevant legal concepts as underpinnings of analysis a must.
- Precision in analysis, including ability to document assumptions in, and weaknesses of, a model.
- Extensive experience manipulating and analyzing complex data with SQL and other tools, such as Python. Familiarity with Google BigQuery is a plus.
- Comfort operating independently in a fast-paced work environment.
- Experience in interfacing with senior business leaders across multiple time zones.
- Strong communication skills, including ability to speak tech to a non-tech audience and to translate complex business/legal needs into specifically-defined deliverables.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.