VP Engineering - Subscriptions
At the core of Spotify’s business is our freemium model, delivering an amazing free experience and providing an on-ramp to our subscription premium tiers.
With over 50 million users enjoying Spotify Premium, 70 million enjoying our ad supported Free tier, and over $3 billion in revenue that we’ve paid to rightsholders, we’re off to a good start. Over the last few years, we’ve built out an exceptional team, built advertising and subscription systems to support our advertisers and users, and worked with partners, and attract new subscribers. However, we see this as only the beginning of our Revenue businesses.
The challenge ahead is to scale the people, culture, technology and business for our Premium and Free business lines, and to grow technology platforms for both. We believe there is much more we can do to improve our existing offering, expand the market and craft innovative experiences for advertisers, consumers and partners alike.
What We’re Looking For
We’re searching for someone to lead our New York and Stockholm based technology organisations that are responsible for our subscription & payments platform and customer service engineering. You will be reporting directly into our CTO, and have responsibility for all engineering related to revenue generation.
To be successful, you have experience in the following areas:
- Motivation – You are someone who has a deep appreciation for the role that payments and subscriptions can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organisation.
- Cultural leader – You have experience in leading engineering culture in an agile & devops environment, and you are able to foster and grow the culture in existing teams.
- Team builder – Developing leadership, supporting managers & directors, and growing the whole organisation across multiple levels is second nature to you. Ideally, you have been through hyper growth, and have experience with a 150+ person organisation.
- Product, design & business partner – You understand product management, how to work with design, how to include the customer perspective in the software development process, you have experience with growing a business and you can collaborate across departments.
- Domain experience – The subscription domain is fast paced, and not necessarily intuitive. Existing understanding and ability to evangelise is valuable for the role.
You will be responsible for leading a department, which has technical responsibilities across most areas of Spotify. This includes our applications on all platforms – mobile, desktop, web, and more, scalable backend services, and a deep focus on data and optimization.
What We Value
Innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are the start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it, and will help shape it as it evolves.
Spotify brings you the right music for every moment – on your computer, your mobile, your tablet, your home entertainment system and more.
If you know what you want, just search and hit play. Or discover new music by browsing the collections of friends, artists and celebrities. Or sit back and enjoy Spotify Radio.
We play music for over 100 million active users, with more than 50 million subscribers. We’ve launched in 59 markets with over 30 millions songs.