Product Owner, Music Playback
Area: Music Playback and Delivery
Spotify strives to bring the right music for every moment to each of our users. To do this, we need to provide a robust music playback feature. You’ll solve problems like:
- How do we balance audio quality against data usage on mobile since it impacts users differently around the world depending on their monthly data allowance?
- How do we make sure music playback is fast and robust as we expand on mobile and into more remote markets in South America and Asia?
- How do we use real-time data to adapt and tune playback delivery across the various networks that make up the internet to maintain a high SLA?
In this position, you’ll provide the product vision for Spotify's playback team. Understanding all parts of the business, you'll work on the future of the most central piece of the Spotify's user experience.
- Act product owner in an autonomous team responsible for a crucial part of the Spotify product
- Own, prioritize and communicate the short, medium and long term release plan of the team
- Own backlog and priorities of efforts that will improve the playback user experience
- Interface with the rest of the technology, design and product organization to understand opportunities, requirements and priorities to ensure the right focus of the team
- Monitor, measure and evaluate success of rolled out features and iterate as needed
- Create and develop metrics (data) to evaluate the usage and success of the products you're accountable for
- Understand, partake in and discuss the architecture/technical decisions made in the team
- Lead and inspire a team of experienced developers to make sure you (as a group) do the right thing™
- 5+ years product management and/or senior-level engineering experience
- Good knowledge of audio codecs for quality and efficiency
- Good understanding of network technology, CDNs and mobile networks
- Great knowledge and experience of our product
- Deep experience in data driven product development
- Proven leadership and excellent relationship building skills
- You must be located in, or willing to relocate to, Gothenburg, Sweden