Machine Learning Manager
We employ large scale machine learning techniques to mine terabytes of data to come up with great music recommendations, personalize the Spotify experience, classify music, clean our data, and other things. The machine learning team at Spotify works on new recommendation algorithms, tries out new ways to apply our data, builds new product features, and runs continuous A/B tests. The main application is music discovery, but you will also focus a lot on ad targeting, metadata quality, and a lot of other applications. The features you are building will help millions of users find new music they will love, and we hope you are as excited about the product as we are.
As a manager for the team, you will make sure we focus on the right things, help other teams build great products, define the roadmap, and make sure the machine learning team is a high performing team that delivers user value. You will be a crucial part of defining the long term roadmap for the product and our data platform. You will also spend time mentoring and advising a team of engineers that will report directly to you. This role will report to the VP of Engineering in New York and will have a lot of impact to influence teams across Spotify.
The technical aspect of this job involves thinking about large scale machine learning, the big architectural decisions, and how to run pipelines in production that analyzes large amounts of data to deliver personalization across many products at Spotify. A background working with Hadoop and/or other distributed systems is definitely a big plus. You will do a lot of research, and work together with the team to come up with new methods to improve the product. You will also represent Spotify externally and help us with recruiting. Ideally you stay up to date on current research and help us establish links and collaborations with academia.
The ideal candidate has spent the last few years working with data infrastructure, machine learning, and backend architecture, preferably applied to a consumer product. You also have several years experience of managing and coaching engineering teams.
The role is based in New York City and a relocation package will be offered to candidates outside of a commutable distance.
- Apply machine learning methods on large data sets
- Run small scale experiments with new algorithms and scale it up to 100B+ data points
- Work with other stakeholders and prioritize data/ML initiatives across the product
- Assume ownership over certain components and continuously work to improve them
- Focus on user impact and how to build a better product
- Be proactive and constantly pay attention to the scalability, performance and availability of our systems
- Take an active interest in our features and our user happiness
- Be a crucial part of growing our team, by interviewing candidates and representing Spotify
- Help us tie connections to universities and research institutions, by leading collaborations and publishing research
- Stay up to date on current data engineering trends, in particular distributed systems and large scale machine learning
- PhD or M.Sc., in Machine Learning or related fields strongly preferred
- You have publications and/or open source projects to share with us
- Strong skills in working on software projects
- Experience managing teams of researchers and/or engineers