Lead Engineer - iOS
Spotify is in search of an experienced engineer to help us build and lead a team of software engineers working on key initiatives in iOS and other mobile platform development projects. As part of a small team within a larger organization, our lead engineer will be responsible for architectural decisions, system design, development and implementation in a dynamic and high-growth environment. Our ideal Lead will be a technical leader who will help us innovate and ship awesome products while coaching and providing team direction.
We keep our teams small — around 5-10 people — to ensure that our team leads have time to participate in technical work and lead by example. In this role, you'll be a hands-on technical contributor as well as have the opportunity to lead the group's operational and strategic work, in a company that continues to grow and develop at a rapid pace. On the technical side, this role is roughly equivalent to a staff or principal engineer, responsible for the design, architecture, implementation and maintenance of large scale applications in production. Leveraging your expertise in this area will help us make Spotify even better, whether it’s developing Spotify apps, helping your team members to grow or recruiting new talent. If you're looking to move your career forward into either technical leadership or team management, you'll have the chance to grow it here!
- Understand company objectives and translate the needs of the product and business to ensure they are aligned with team priorities.
- Code on iOS and other platforms, leveraging previous development expertise.
- Contribute to and debug cross-platform code that is suitable for mobile constraints. Underneath the iOS application logic and UI written in Obj-C, our iPhone app uses a C++ library shared with other Spotify mobile and desktop clients.
- Build, lead and continuously develop a team of mobile engineers.
- Lead by example both technically and operationally; take part in the delivery process, write software and stay ahead with the latest in mobile technology.
- Play a key role in architectural and strategic decisions for our mobile platform.
- Help the team implement new features in Spotify mobile apps, improve performance, and make sure that the user interface is top-notch.
- Work closely with Product Owners, QA, and other teams in an agile environment to collaborate on and influence new products.
As a Lead Engineer you'll bring prior experience in shipping great products and the know-how of collaborating (maybe even managing) among distributed engineering teams within a technology organization. You'll have built a solid reputation within engineering among your peers and are aspiring to grow your career either technically or in leadership, or both. You’re familiar with and actively involved in current technology developments in your area of expertise, and generally take a pragmatic and iterative approach to engineering.
- Experience in a lead technical role on a high performing development team
- Proven experience building, shipping and maintaining large-scale applications with an emphasis on mobile platforms and applications
- Outstanding engineering talent proven by prior results and experience, open source contributions or notable products
- Strong command of fundamental principles within software engineering and object oriented development
- Proven expertise in shipping software for the iOS platform; media playback, audio streaming and DRM a strong plus
- Experience in writing and debugging cross-platform code that is suitable for mobile constraints
- Ability to write well-documented code
- Degree in computer science or similar is desired
Our mission is to connect millions of people with their favourite songs and create an easily accessible service that people love to use.
We love to share and are big fans of open source, so if you have contributed to anything we would love to see it!